When you get up in the morning, you must have a song - Ray Charles

Friday, October 30, 2009

Art Tatum - Memories of You

Well I hope Monk's piano and the Black Lion sound got you sufficiently prepared for post number 100!

With it I want to share this awesome Art Tatum box set. 3 discs on Black Lion records!!! Close to 60 tracks of Tatum genius.

The 1st disc is V-discs, those elusive records you could not spin even if you could lay your hands on one. These are trio tracks.

Disc 2 is a solo discs of Standards. Does Art Tatum have extra fingers? It may seem so at times.

Disc 3 is also solo but for a couple of tracks. What this disc does is fill in some blanks spots with some real rarities, if you are so lucky to actually be a Tatum completist. For me, these are great tracks that I know I won't accidentally run across elsewhere. Especially when I get around to uploading more Tatum eventually.

Once again, what can be said about the genius of such a piano player? Goddamn, sometimes this stuff just turns me inside out! It is what the kids refer to as old school jazz. Be it roots jazz, 2nd generation, whatever, this is the shit. Once you understand that you will realize how awesome this stuff is.

Art Tatum
Memories of You

Disc One - The V-discs
1. Sweet Lorraine*
2. Cocktails For Two+
3. Liza+
4. She's Funny That Way
5. Gershwin Medley;
The Man I Love / Summertime / I've Got Plenty Of Nothin' / It Ain't Necessarily So
6. Body and Soul
7. Lover
8. Begin The Beguine
9. Indiana
10. Poor Butterfly
11. Where Or When
12. Song of the Vagabond
13. I'm Beginning To See The Light
14. 9:20 Special

Disc Two - Standards
1. I'll Get By ( As Long As I Have You)
2. Sweet Lorraine
3. Can't we Be Friends
4. I'll Never Be The Same
5. Make Believe
6. Judy
7. Body and Soul
8. Elegy
9. Happy Feet
10. Royal Garden Blues
11. Ain't Misbehavin'
12. Stardust
13. In A Sentimental Mood
14. The Man I Love
15. Running Wild
16. I Can't Get Started
17. Get Happy
18. Begin The Beguine
19. It Had To Be You
20. Humoresque
21. Hallelujah
22. Lullaby In Rhythm
23. Over The Rainbow

Disc Three - Tea For Two
1. Tea For Two+
2. Poor Butterfly
3. I've Got a Right To Sing The Blues
4. Tabu
5. Ain't Misbehavin'
6. Royal Garden Blues~
7. I Got Rhythm
8. Hallelujah
9. Hallelujah
10. Poor Butterfly
11. Song Of The Vagabonds
12. Lover
13. memories Of you
14. Running Wild
15. Yesterdays
16. Kerry Dance
17. Crystal Clear
18. Gang O'Notes
19. Between Midnight and Dawn
20. Apollo Boogie

Art Tatum - piano
Oscar Pettiford - bass*
Sid Catlett - drums*, ~
Tiny Grimes - guitar+
Slam Stewart - bass+, ~
Roy Eldridge - trumpet~
Charlie Shavers - trumpet~
Vic Dickerson - trombone~
Benny Morton - trombone~
Ben Webster - tenor sax~
Edmond Hall - clarinet~

The Standards disc was recorded between '38-'39
All others were recorded between '40 - '46


BL 7608-2
disc 1
disc 2
disc 3


Well there you have it... a minor milestone, but I hope you have enjoyed the ride so far and I hope you will all stick around for more.

3 comments:

yotte said...

What a fantastic milestone post! THANKS!

troods said...

I'm so grateful.......Art Tatum has always been a favorite and this is one set I don't have. Thank you so much. Going to bookmark this site.

makers9 said...

Ive just found your wonderful blog searching for a Yusef Lateef album i had years ago, and eventually arrived at the Tatum post. Ah.. one can never have enough.
The link below is to a piece i build as a dedication to him.

http://www.ninestoriesfurniture.com/tatums-lounge/tatum1.htm