When you get up in the morning, you must have a song - Ray Charles

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Dexter Gordon - Something Different

Another great late period Dexter G. record that I never see around. This time with two great European jazz artists and ex-pat Billy Higgins. The inclusion of Philip Catherine on guitar is not something I would generally look forward to, but damn if this isn't a fine set.

Covering Miles is always a risky idea, and covering this classic takes guts, but they pull it off phenomenally.

Once again Dexter shows his masterful interpretation of ballads and that fluid subtlety I love so much on the slow numbers. Throw in a little bossa nova, and you get a well rounded picture of this lp.


Dexter Gordon Quartet
Something Different

1. Freddy Freeloader
2. When Sunny Gets Blue
3.Invitation
4. Winther's Calling
5. Polkadots and Moonbeams
6. Yesterday's Mood

Dexter Gordon - tenor sax
Philip Catherine - guitar
Niels-Henning Orsted Peterson - bass
Billy Higgins - drums

recorded 9/13/75

Steeplechase SCS-1136

1 comment:

troods said...

So glad I'm here. I keep saying that music bloggers are special kind of people, generous and deeply into music enough to share with other music lovers. I appreciate your generosity. Dexter Gordon is a national treasure and this album is new to me. Thanks.