When you get up in the morning, you must have a song - Ray Charles

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Stanley Turrentine - Sugar

Last nights over-indulgence resulted in the posting of the fairly common lp A Chip Off The Old Block, but what you need to realize is that to post these lps, they have to be recorded. 99% of what is posted is from my vinyl lps.

So at the same time last night, I burned this as well. And I am sharing it with you. Again I doubt seriously if you would have any trouble seeking out a digital copy of this, but that is not the same as an analog burn is it?

I'd even bet there is a better copy of this over at the excellent CTI Never Sleeps blog.

But for better or worse here is my copy for all. I have been carrying this lp around for the better part of 30 years. This record was my impetus to see Turrentine, I believe on campus at a small hall in Champaign, Il, in the late 70's. I was a member of the minority as white dudes just did not dig this stuff. And I thought at the time that the version of Little Green Apples he did, rocked.

Without a doubt this has long been a favorite album cover of mine. Perfect in it's decadence.

Stanley Turrentine - Sugar

1. Sugar
2. Sunshine Alley
3. Impressions

Stanley Turrentine - tenor sax
Billy Kaye - drums
Butch Cornell - organ
Lonnie L. Smith, Jr - electric piano
George Benson - guitar
Freddie Hubbard - trumpet
Ron Carter - bass
Richard "Pablo" Landrum - conga

recorded at Van Gelder studios, November 1970

CTI 6005

No comments: