When you get up in the morning, you must have a song - Ray Charles

Monday, October 31, 2011

Bud Powell - Radio Broadcasts Summer 1953

Just wanted to get one last one in before the end of the month. I've had this ready to go for awhile. Wasn't really sure how much interest there would be in this. Enjoy...

Here's one I found as I was cleaning out some old cassettes. The sound quality isn't that great, but i suspect it wasn't on the original source as I was using a Nakamichi deck at the time I would have grabbed this. I probably grabbed this from a late night radio show. The fact that the sound is muffled is probably why the cassette languished in a box all these many years. Despite that I found myself enjoying the music once I decided to give it a quick listen before converting or trashing. I'm thinking that may even be Mingus on bass and then, what the hell that has to be Bird on a couple of tracks. So yeah, we're keeping it and even sharing it here.

*While researching before posting I see now that ESP was offering digital dls of this but physical product. What's this world coming to? Also their track listings appear to be different than what I have on tape. I'll try to do my best to reconcile the two, as I sometimes have problems recognizing even the most common songs, or rather recognizing the titles of such. They also supplied all the info as I had nothing but a cassette in a plastic case.

Bud Powell 
1953 Summer Broadcasts

1. I've Got You Under My Skin
2. Autumn In New York
3. I Want To Be Happy
4. Moose The Mooche
5. Cheryl
6. Budo
7. My Heart Stood Still
8. Dance Of The Infidels
9. Dance Of The Infidels

Bud Powell - piano
Charles Mingus - bass
Art Taylor - drums
add Bird (as) and Candido (cgs) to tracks 3 & 4

recorded at Birdland
1-5 - 5/30/53
6-8 - 6/20/53
9 - 7/11/53

here


2 comments:

Hookfinger said...

Well apparently ESP must still want you to buy digital versions from them. Link was up less than 12 hours before it was pulled. So sorry.

Anonymous said...

It's up again now anyway.

The track listing for your rip is:

01 Autumn In New York (Duke) [30 May] [Bud Powell p, Charles Mingus b, Art Taylor d]
02 I Want To Be Happy (Youmans/Caesar/Harbach) [30 May] [Powell p, Mingus b, Taylor d]
03 Moose The Mooche (Parker) [30 May] [Charlie Parker as, Candido cng, Powell p, Mingus b, Taylor d]
04 Cheryl (Parker) [30 May] [Parker as, Candido cng, Powell p, Mingus b, Taylor d]
05 [Blank 4 second gap]
06 Budo (Powell) [20 June] [Powell p, Mingus b, Taylor d]
07 My Heart Stood Still (Rodgers/Hart) [20 June] [Powell p, Mingus b, Taylor d]
08 Dance Of The Infidels (Powell) [20 June] [Powell p, Mingus b, Taylor d]
09 I've Got You Under My Skin (Porter) [30 May] [Powell p, Mingus b, Taylor d]

They must've moved the last track (usually first) to the end to fit the tape.

Thanks very much for uploading!