When you get up in the morning, you must have a song - Ray Charles

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Hoagy Carmichael - The Classics

So we are at 200. Hardly a milestone for some. But a monster for me. This is my turning point. It seems most of the stuff I own is now available. I've got maybe a handful of radio shows and very little else. So maybe I should just wind this thing down. Except I like being part of this little jazz blogger community. So maybe we just plug along with cool things we like and see where it goes.

Back to the subject at hand. A three lp boxset dedicated to one of the greatest songwriters ever. Hoagy's own vocals here are the highlight for me.
The great set spans from his earliest recordings to a Wynton Marsalis cover closer. While a clever lyricist, Hoagy more often than not worked as the melodicist in the company of his peers. I bought this set at a garage sale for $3. I didn't even try to barter. Chock full of some of the greatest evergreens ever composed. And then somewhere among all those covers, you get Ray singing Georgia On My Mind, a song that still stops me in my tracks to this day. For the record, my mom's 7' of Artie Shaw's Stardust is one of the records that pointed me towards jazz at a younger age than my friends.
There's not a lot I more I can say without breaking the thing down song by song...not my style. You'll know what you like and hopefully you will find some gems in here.

Originally released jointly by The Indiana Historical Society and The Smithsonian Collection of Recordings. Taken from my vinyl....

Hoagy Carmichael
The Classic Box Set

Disc One
1. Riverboat Shuffle - Frankie Trumbauer
2. Washboard Blues - Paul Whiteman
3. Stardust - Louis Armstrong
4. Lazy River - Louis Armstrong
5. Charlie Two-Step - The Boswell Sisters
6. New Orleans - Bennie Moten
7. Judy/Moon Country - Hoagy Carmichael
8. Rockin' Chair - Mills Brothers
9. Moonburn - Bing Crosby
10. Lazybones - Claude Hopkins
11. Ballad in Blue - Benny Goodman
12. Sing Me a Swing Song (And Let Me Dance) - Benny Goodman
13. Lyin' To Myself - Louis Armstrong
14. Jubilee - Louis Armstrong
15. Rockin' Chair - Mildred Bailey
16. Small Fry - Mildred Bailey
17. Two Sleepy People - Bob Hope and Shirley Ross
18. Kinda Lonesome - Maxine Sullivan
19. Old Man Harlem - Ethel Waters
20. Bread And Gravy - Ethel Waters
21. Blue Orchids - Glenn Miller

Disc Two
1. Ooh! What You Said - Bob Crosby
2. Can't Get Indiana Off My Mind - Kate Smith
3. Stardust - Artie Shaw
4. Georgia On My mind - Billie Holiday
5.The Lamplighter's Serenade - Frank Sinatra
6. Hong Kong Blues - HC
7. Lazy River - HC
8. The Old Music Master - HC
9. Don't Forget To Say No Baby! - HC
10. Stardust - HC
11. Ole Buttermilk Sky - HC
12. Doctor, Lawyer, Indian Chief - Betty Hutton
13. Ivy - Jo Stafford
14. The Monkey Song - HC
15. In The Cool, Cool, Cool Of The Evening - Bing Crosby and Jane Wyman
16. Stardust - Ella Fitzgerald
17. I Guess it Was You All Along - Ray Anthony
18. The Nearness Of You - Jo Stafford
19. Heart And Soul - Hank Jones
20. Memphis in June - Lucy Ann Polk
21. One Morning In May - Mel Torme
22. The Rhumba Jumps - Mel Torme



Disc 3
1. Skylark - Carmen McRae
2. Georgia On My Mind - Ray Charles
3. Serenade To Gabriel - HC
4. Stardust - Frank Sinatra
5. Baltimore Oriole - Sheila Jordan
6. Skylark - Bob Brookmeyer
7. How Little We Know - Susannah McCorkle
8. The Nearness Of You - Sarah Vaughn
9. Winter Moon - Art Pepper
10. I Walk With Music - Marlene VerPlank
11. Ole Man Moon - Marlene VerPlank
12. Come Easy, Go Easy Love - Dave McKenna
13. I Get Along Without You Very Well ( excepts sometimes) - Margaret Whiting
14. Stardust - Wynton Marsalis



11 comments:

Hookfinger said...

I hope everything is in order. If not let me know. The post was a bitch. Took forever to get up, turntable went down halfway through, vacation intrudes, but finally I can move on.
There is far to much session info for me to type out here so if there is anything you want to know specifically, please don't hesotate to ask.

Baron said...

I've enjoyed taking a peep or two at your blog ... so whatever you decide to be it's thanks from me ... Baron

OldHippieRick said...

WoW this is a gem at any # of postings and congratulations on 200 milestone ¿.☮ldhíppíℯЯíck ♪

brianbrora said...

Congrats on reaching 200! I know what you mean when you say that it seems like everything is now available on CD - I feel the same way. But I'm glad you want to go on, and I'm sure many others do to. Best Regards.

Jazz nel pomeriggio said...

Don't close the shop, Hook. The value of these posts is not only in the rarity of the music, but simply in your choice. This one, for instance, it's rare but it would be a great choice anyway.

Thank you!

brianbrora said...

Just finished listening to this great set - I already knew about 80% of the tracks, but I'd never heard most of the vocal interpretations featured on the third disc, except for Ray Charles and Sarah Vaughan. It's a great listen, and even on the older tracks, and allowing for it being a straight LP rip, audio quality is very acceptable. Many, many thanks for sharing with us.

Hookfinger said...

Thanks everyone (and i do mean everyone) - especially Baron, who always comments...and brian and rick who have great sites.

reservatory said...

Wonderful stuff. I can finally replace a cassette I made many years ago from a library copy. THANKS.

Dirk Bill said...

Hook, always been a great blog. Sorry you are having links problems. This box set looks delicious. My aunt's father-in-law Sunny Clapp knew Hoagy well enough to record together in his living room; I have some far-too-damaged home recording discs with his name on them. Wish I could get those dubbed! Thanks for all you do.

yoshio said...

RapidShare is giving a denial to download. Please Re-up.

yoshio said...

Thanks! I got them today.