When you get up in the morning, you must have a song - Ray Charles

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Ahmad Jamal - Count 'Em 88

When I lived just outside of Chicago, I was lucky enough to stumble across an "antique store" a couple of towns over that had loads of lps in the basement, including an extensive jazz section. Careful mining only yielded a couple of real killers though. Just the same, Jamal was a local somewhat and all of his Argo/Cadet lps were in abundance and cheap as hell.

Despite the fact that Miles says I should love Jamal, more often than not he leaves me cold. I wish I would have seen him live when I had so many chances. That may have added more perspective to my opinion.

Despite that, Jamal put out a couple of records that stun me. Not just OK records but really really good ones. This is one of them.

Count Em 88
Ahmad Jamal Trio

1. Volga Boatman
2. Green Dolphin Street
3. How About You
4. I Just Can't See For Lookin'
5. Spring Will Be A Little Late This Year
6. Beat Out One
7. Maryam
8. Easy To Remember
9. Jim Love Sue

Ahmad Jamal - piano
Israel Crosby - bass
Walter Perkins - drums

recorded 10/4/56

Argo 610

6 comments:

SlimStew said...

Thanks for this--I lost my copy years ago--great record!

Hookfinger said...

Hey Slim - you're more than welcome! thanks for all the great comments. See ya around!.

les said...

I'lll get this one when RS allows the pleasure. Until then, have you heard Jamal's The Essence Pt 1 and Big Byrd - The Essence Pt 2? They are both excellent and heavy on the rhythmic thing with Idris Muhammad supplying a strong backbeat throughout. Also his live one from Joe Segal's Jazz Showcase is very worthy (trio).

Anonymous said...

thanks hooks!

This is a hard one to find.

rm said...

Thank you very much!

neil said...

Had a couple of tracks sourced from the Limewire days, so really grateful to hear the whole thing. Many thanks...