When you get up in the morning, you must have a song - Ray Charles

Saturday, July 19, 2014

Manny Albam - West Side Story

Manny Albam gathers some buddies and records what is essentially a big band recording of the most influential soundtrack from my teens. When I was just a lad I didn't realize how this soundtrack would work it's way into the very fiber of my being. It resides there to this day, just waiting to be shaken awake occasionally. You can't tell me you don't find it so yourself.

 Did I mention that Albam and friends pulled it off? Cuz they did.

 Manny Albam and his Jazz Greats

 1.Prologue and Jet Song ..
.2.Something's Coming
 3. Cool
 4. Maria
 5. Tonigt
 6. I Feel Pretty
 7. Somewhere
 8. Finale

Manny Albam's Jazz Greats on this lp are: Gene Quill, Ernie Royal, Osie Johnson, Milt Hinton, Hank Jones, Al Cohn, Bob Brookmeyer, Wendell Marshall, Ed Costa, amongst others.


Decca Records DL4517

vinyl rip


5 comments:

Hookfinger said...

Here's what you're looking for...

https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/z9xq47



Comments welcome

alfred venison said...

thanks. bob brookmeyer sold it for me. cheers. -alfred venison

Geo said...

I gotta say, I love the album. This is fine jazz arranging. Actually, it doesn't get better.
For me this has the same special arranging quality as the three musicals the Mastersounds did. The very best.
Thank you.

agmosk said...

Thanks, Hookfinger!

Obil's Beanstalk said...

The musical definitely has a special place in my heart. I'm looking forward to this.