When you get up in the morning, you must have a song - Ray Charles

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

James P. Johnson - Watch Me Go



I know damn well this won't appeal to everybody but I think some of my readers may enjoy it. I really do enjoy stuff like this from the very early days of jazz. While these are all accompaniments, I can't imagine what it was like to hear piano like that way back when.

Some of these songs are just plain silly as so many period pieces can be, it was after all a much simpler time so they say. That said there are still many awesome songs on this record that would never have seen the light of day if it weren't for true jazz collectors. we owe them a debt of gratitude. The back cover liner notes are extensive albeit spotted with typos, so if anyone really wants them e-mail and I will find a way to get them to you.

James P Johnson - Watch Me Go
Rare accompaniments: 1921~34

1. Watch Me Go
2. You'll Never Miss A Good Thing Till It's Gone
3. Original Black Bottom Dance
4. Nobody Worries About Me
5. Black Snake Moan
6. Fortune Teller Blues
7. Doggone Blues
8. Can't Be Bothered With No Sheik
9. Oh, Mr. Mitchell
10. Where Is My Man?
11. You've Got To Be Modernistic
12. Shout On
13. All That I Had Is Gone
14. Lucy Long
15. Jazzbo Dan and his Yodelin' Band
16. Syncopatin' Yodelin' Man
17. Ooh! Looka There, Ain't She Pretty
18. Uncle Sammy Here I Am

1, 2 - Lavinia Baker
3, 4 - Sadie Jackson
5, 6, 7, 8 - Rosa Henderson
9, 10 - Clara Smith
11, 12 - Great Day New Orleans Singers
13, 14 - Perry Bradford
15, 16 - Roy Evans
17, 18 - Clarence Williams

From my vinyl copy of  IAJRC 52

2 comments:

Hookfinger said...

Thank you, Neil for the nice squared up cover!!

Chris S. said...

wow--thanks for posting the James P. Johnson album, didn't know that "You've Got To Be Modernistic" had lyrics