When you get up in the morning, you must have a song - Ray Charles

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Billy Bang - Distinction Without Difference

Is this record really from 1979? Damn, I was three years outta high school. I was the only person I knew who was really "into" jazz. No one I knew had an inkling about this shit. I had no inkling about this shit. I can only look back and think that this would have flattened me at the time.
This is a solo outing. Some solo recordings work better than others but most often are only necessary to the dire hard fan. This is short enough and entertaining enough to appeal to any one with interest in Bang's work.

This Swiss label has been responsible for some of the most under the radar great jazz lps of all time. My pleasure to offer...

Billy Bang:
Distinction Without Difference

1. Improvisation on Sweet Space
2. Loweski
3. part of a Distinction Without A Difference
4. Thenme For Masters
5. Sometime Later
6. Skip To My Lou (traditional)

Billy Bang - violin

recorded live on Sunday August 12 1979 at GAKU Gallery NYC

1980 hat Hut records 1R04

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice , thanks very much!

yotte said...

Can't wait to hear this. Many thanks!

slovenlyeric said...

Thank you for posting this. I have seen him perform often for 20 + years. Somehow, I don't seem to have a copy of this.

Kndnsk said...

Very nice indeed. Thank you, hookfinger.

Arcturus said...

sheeeesh! someone walked off w/ my copy of this a good 25+ years ago - I couldn't possibly thank you enough for posting it!

Hookfinger said...

You folk rock! thanks for the comments. Happy to share.

Anonymous said...

This joint keeps getting better and better - thanks.

corvimax said...

thank you!

vilstef said...

Mr Hook, would it be possible to re-up this one. It looks quite intriguing.

Hookfinger said...

Here's a brand new link!!

https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/yg47ab