When you get up in the morning, you must have a song - Ray Charles

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Zoot Sims and the Gershwin Brothers

By all accounts Zoot should stand a head and shoulders over his accompanists on this session. I've never really been a fan of Joe Pass or Oscar Peterson. Yet somehow everyone manages to sound inspired on this fantastic session. Zoot Sims plays like he is having the time of his life, perhaps because of the material, there is certainly something to be said for the Gershwins legacy. It must have been infectious because the normally stoic Peterson actually sounds as though he is enjoying himself.

Of all the Gershwin themed lps in my collection, this is probably the one I like the most.

This lp was recorded the day before my 17th birthday. I wonder what I would have thought of it then?

Zoot Sims
and the Gershwin Brothers

1. The Man I Love
2. How Long Has This Been Going On
3. Lady Be Good
4. I've Got A Crush On You
5. I Got Rhythm
6. Embraceable You
7. 'S Wonderful
8. Someone To Watch Over Me
9. Isn't It A Pity
10. Summertime


Zoot Sims - tenor sax
Oscar Peterson - piano
Joe Pass - guitar
George Mraz - bass
Grady Tate - drums

Pablo 2310-744

4 comments:

grumpy said...

Never heard this, you're write up has me aglee in anticipation!
Many thanks.

neil said...

Had this as mp3 with a dodgy track 5 since 2007.
So many, many thanks for the opportunity to hear it afresh!

Hookfinger said...

You're welcome guys. thanks for stopping by.

JimJak said...

zootie at his most swingin' moments. great, i even forgive oscar peterson to be on this recording. pass wipes him off.